14 June 2010

"Real School" ...and summer

A few days ago, my mother declared that my continuous procrastination must end. I gave her a blank look over the rim of my science textbook, then slowly nodded in agreement. After sliding the book from my hands, sitting across from me and earnestly looking me in the face, she told me that she was thinking of signing me up for 'correspondence' in September; to give me some 'structure'. What did she mean? Real school. I was surprised.

If she goes through with it, it will mean that for the first time ever, I will have an actual 'teacher', I will be forced to write 'tests', I will have assignments. There will also be deadlines. Truthfully, it's all terribly daunting for someone who's only known traditional homeschooling all her life! However, it will be nice because it's all through my computer -no prissy cliques or long bus rides! I will also receive a high school diploma at the end of it.

Originally, mother & I had been planning upgrading courses at either Grant MacEwan or NAIT university. This seemed alright at first, but we soon decided that we would be 'upgrading' on things I didn't know yet. I'm rather behind, you see. But if I go through correspondence, there will be no need for me to 'cram in' my 30 courses. I will actually finish school on time so I will make it into university on time. The diploma will be so, so helpful and I will have a real handle on what I'm doing.

Now, it's a pity that merely July and August mark the months of real 'freedom' from academics. It's also a pity that my 2 months of alleged freedom shan't be completely free. However, they will be productive and used well. Since I am behind, I can't afford to leave a slothful space of 2 empty months before being thrust into real school in September. I also have a future resume to think of, so volunteering and lifeguarding courses are also necessary.

Things to do this summer:

Books
-Physical Science [422 pages]
-Algebra 1 [120 chapters]
-Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand [1206 pages]
-I Am A Strange Loop by Douglas Hofstaedter [24 chapters - 10 left]
-The gospel of John [memorizing chapters 1-5]

Activities
-Counselling at Camp Nakamun [one week]
-Bronze Star swimming course
-A trip to Jasper [one week]
-A trip to Vancouver [4 days]
-Shakespeare in the Park
-Fort Edmonton
-Capital Ex

Projects
-Make a summer dress
-Make a new bag
-Finish ink portrait of Beethoven
-Pierce my ears
-Write a short story

4 comments:

  1. This post makes me feel daunted, even though high school is blessedly behind me. Good luck my friend. You'll be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. I hope you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you luck on forging through the 60 page rant in Atlas Shrugged. Alas, I am too weak to attempt it.

    I think that you'll like doing correspondence - just don't be an idiot like me and fall behind. :3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara, you should try more. It will MAKE you stronger.

    Thanks. I shan't. ;3

    ReplyDelete