11 October 2010

My newest "questionable film" experience:




















[Yes, I saw it with my mother.]

It would seem as though that very woman has given up her sheltering techniques on me. Of late, she has revealed a more laid-back parent; the kind that allows every "questionable" film in my collection to be pulled from the shelves for sudden watching. So far, we've seen everything from Monty Python's religion-parody Life of Brian, to the terrifying Jack-The-Ripper film From Hell, to the controversial "American love-story" Brokeback Mountain. What was it this week? 8 Mile.

This series of films have made me realize that "perverse", "edgy" or "questionable" movies can have a smaller effect on me than I might have thought at first [remember the days of pining after "grown-up films" with all the swearing that you were never allowed to watch?] I mean, Monty Python's jabs at Islam and Christianity are boldface and mocking, but as long as you don't base your beliefs on the opinions of a troupe of comedians [no matter how funny they are] you'll come out alright.

In fact, I discovered Brokeback Mountain to be a super-excellent film that I really like. I never heard from anyone that it was anything more than vicious anal-shagging done for no reason and in poor taste. [Watching it made me realize how small-minded some critics are, and what a great cinematographer Ang Lee is.]

As for 8 Mile, there's nothing really to be said. Lots of swearing and suggestive language, some violence, some stiff acting from rapper-turned actor Eminem [including a very awkward and unappealing sex-scene between him and that blonde girl from Clueless.] The only part I didn't find utterly lame was the set of rap-battles at the end. Those ripped it up, yo.

But still! I saw it! It did nothing for me, but I saw it with my mum!!

Next up:

Taxi Driver



















Layer Cake

















Fight Club

1 comment: