29 December 2010

since the haircut...

... I have been considered a boy a total of 5 times. This post is a tribute.

1. at the bank. A mousy male teller addressed me as "dude" three times as I rifled through my purse. This was only the beginning.

2. at the pool. A young boy asked me -with no little scorn- why I was wearing a girl's swimsuit. My answer? Because I'm a girl, snot [unfortunately, the insult was muttered after I promptly ducked my head underwater].

3. at the bakery. A middle-aged, bearded man accused me of being a guy dressed as a girl by looking me up and down, clapping, cough-laughing, and saying, "You're crazy, man, I'm tellin' you!" Why is it that people are so much braver in the face of androgyny?

4. at Servus Place. A girl -poor, clueless thing!- smiled and waved flirtatiously at me as I sat, feet up, reading Ayn Rand in the chair-strewn foyer. I gave her my best "cute boy" smile.

5. in the locker-room. A very elderly lady wearing an oxygen machine stared at me as I tousled my hair in front of a mirror. When I finally looked over at her, she pointed at my head and said, "Justin Beiber. A Justin Beiber haircut." Not only should this woman have no idea who he is, but she should have realized that a young girl with short hair would appreciate celebrity references in regards to her hair that didn't involve an overrated pubescent boy. Though the old bird was aware of my femininity, I reference it here because being a girl with hair like Justin is much worse than actually looking like a boy. Much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment