08 November 2011

Zelig


















The documentary-style, fantasy-comedy Zelig is, in my opinion, one of Woody Allen's best-ever films. Woody's writing is dry, intellectual, and witty as usual, but the 1920's setting and interesting premise of Zelig make it perhaps more charming than his films usually are. The film-making itself is also very well done, as many of the scenes involve the film characters mingling in old footage of famous people (such as Hitler and Fanny Brice) which is a feat requiring very careful editing. The above photograph from the film is an example of this masterful editing. Thanks for your consistent excellence, Woody, you never disappoint!

I watched this movie the other day when I realized that I hadn't seen a Woody Allen film since Midnight in Paris came to theaters in June [if you didn't see it, it is simply a modern example of Woody Allen's classy, iconic film-making] and I was not disappointed in my choice. It may even beat Annie Hall, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment